Amazon Frontier River Expedition
This tour is no longer offered.
For current tour and travel information see the menu
on the left, or our HOME page.
A small-boat expedition trip into remote regions to visit
A custom trip on a small boat, takes you into seldom visited regions of the Amazon rainforest, with the purpose of experiencing indigenous culture. These trips can be of one week to several weeks duration. We will organize a trip to fit your schedule.
The Urarina livelihood consists of farming small garden plots called “chacras”, fishing and hunting. They live in rainforest that is still mostly virgin and the only logging is of select trees cut by hand with no machinery involved. Their main source of carbohydrates are rice, plantains and yuca. Their main source of protein is meat: monkey, paca and peccary... hunted by blowgun or shotgun. Their favorite drink is masato made of fermented yuca. The woman still dress in the traditional manner of their ancestors, but the men now wear short sleeve shirts and pants/shorts that they obtain from lumber traders that visit the region. The traders will only pay them for the trees they sell off their land in goods such as clothing, soap, kerosene, shotgun shells, etc. The Urarina have little use for money.
- TRIP: Amazon Frontier River Expedition to Rio Chambira.
- NUMBER OR PARTICIPANTS: 1 - 8 people.
- PRICE: See chart below.
- AGE RESTRICTIONS: 16 years and up.
- DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Moderate.
- MEANS OF TRAVEL: Transfer from Iquitos to the embarkation village of Ollanta by private car/bus and speed-boat. Trip up the Rio Chambira by small covered wood boat (Pamacare), with a crew of 4 - 6 consisting of a guide, cook, boat and camp staff. Return from Ollanta by speed-boat and private car/bus to Iquitos.
- DURATION: from 8 - 22 days.
- ACTIVITIES: Travel by typical local small-river craft up smaller Amazon tributaries into remote regions. Jungle hikes. Wildlife viewing. Visits to local Indian camps and villages. Fishing and swimming. An afternoon of trading with the Indians at each village and watch as we pass out photos from previous trips
- LODGING: In local houses in our tents with mosquitoes netting. Thermorest mattress pads. Group lodging. No private lodging possible.
- HYGIENE: Your toilet facilities are the jungle. Your bathing facilities can be either the river or buckets of river water in the camp.
- FOOD: Simple fare prepared over wood fires.
Breakfast: French toast, Pancakes, Eggs and Bacon/Ham, Oatmeal.
Lunch: Sandwiches... Peanut Butter and Jelly, Tuna fish, BLT.
Dinner: Chicken, Pork, Beef, Fish, Pasta, Rice, Yuca, Potatoes, Fruits and Vegetables, and local foods acquired along the river.
Drinks: Coffee (French press), Tea, Soft Drinks, Bottled water, Beer by request. (Cold as long as the ice lasts).
- Does not include airfare to the departure city of Iquitos.
This is NOT a trip suitable for everyone. As with all GreenTracks tours, we require an application from each person desiring to participate and a phone call interview to determine your eligibility for this trip. Due to the remote areas traveled, the primitive conditions and the cautious and reserved nature of the local peoples we visit, certain activities and behaviors may be inappropriate and not allowed.
A list of required gear and recommendations pertinent to this trip will be provided to you upon acceptance of your application and receipt of your deposit.
|2014 PRIVATE DEPARTURES|
|# Travelers - Price per person|
|Length of Trip||1||2||3||4||5|
|8 Days / 7 Nights||$6,552||$4,338||$3,892||$3,607||$3,510|
|15 Days / 14 Nights||$10,364||$6,651||$5,892||$5,294||$5,010|
|22 Days / 21 Nights||$14,677||$9,401||$8,455||$7,607||$7,448|
INCLUDES: Greeting upon arrival to Iquitos. Private transfer from Iquitos to Nauta. Speedboat transfer to Ollanta. Frontier River Expedition. Return transfers by speedboat and bus to Iquitos. Transfer to Iquitos airport.
Recommended: One day/night in Iquitos before the Frontier Trip. One night in Iquitos after the Frontier Trip.
It is possible to use of a floatplane to transfer you from Iquitos to the expedition boat in Ollanta and back at the end of the trip. The cost of the floatplane is not included in the above prices. Estimate is $3640 for the round trip charter flights. This is price per plane, not per person. The plane only holds up to 726 lbs of people and gear, possibly only 3 people. We would back-out the price of private car/bus and speed-boat from the above prices. The car/bus and speed-boat is far less expensive.
Please call 1-800-892-1035 for further information.